Historic Properties

William Cole House, ca 1844
97 Child Street

On March 22, 1842, Roby Nimmo, widow, grants to William Cole, carpenter, "...lot of land bounded northerly by Child Street, now westerly on street laid out in continuation of Parker Street, now unopened, southerly by heirs of Benj. Cole, and easterly land of Job Luther"; the style of the house suggests a residence was built soon after.
In 1877, the property is granted to Clara W. Hoar, daughter of William and Malona Cole. In 1922, the property is granted to Joseph Hoar, Henry C. Hoar and Millard Hoar, then to Millard Hoar and Marjorie White in 1947. 
After the 1950s, the property leaves the Cole family and changes hands several times; owners Uriah Donnelly and Janet Moscarello purchased the property in February 2013.
Plaque Awarded March 2017. Research by Kristin MacDonald.

Susie M. Drown House, 1906
68 King Street
In 1906 a plot of land between King Street and Avenue A was transferred from Mary, Herbert and Bertha M. Seymour; in June 1906 the deed was transferred to their daughter Susie M. Drown, wife of John Drown.  The house is built soon after and marked "1906" with a handsome foundation stone.  In 1911, Susie M. Drown is listed in town tax record as owner of property on "King Street to Avenue A." The deed was transferred in 1952 to daughter Dorothy D. Nelle, who resided at 68 King Street until her death in 1993.  The property became the home of Breck Petrillo, Tamara Kaplan and daughters Edda and Iris in 2006.
 Plaque awarded March 2017. Research by Kristin MacDonald.





Louisa B. Paquin House, 1899
307 Main Street
In 1899, Louisa B. Paquin, a French-Canadian immigrant, purchased the property of Earl Collamore, whose family had lived on the Main Street lot in a brick house for four generations. The brick house was demolished and the present structure was built at this time. During the 1980s, the current house was remodeled and much of its historical integrity was compromised.  Current owners Samantha Bowers and Cameron MacDonald, who purchased the property in 2016, plan to historically restore the house.
Plaque awarded in March 2017. Research by Doug Hinman.




Benjamin Cranston House, ca 1834
24 Broad Street
In 1829, Benjamin Cranston, sailmaker, purchased lot 21 on the Lyndon-Manning Plat Map for $150 from Seth Peck.  The west-facing, gambrel roofed Colonial cottage, largely unaltered over time, was built in 1834.  It was purchased by Eliza Stockford in 1860s and she resided there until her death in 1871. In 1995, the property was purchased by Bob Moore and Crim Lech who proudly call this property their home.
Plaque awarded in March 2017. Research by Doug Hinman.







St. Mark's Chapel, 1860s
16 School Street
The 1851 map of Warren shows that a prior structure existed on this lot; in 1852, the chapel was built separately but perpendicular to the church on the church lot across the street.  In 1858, the lot was purchased by St. Mark's Parish and the chapel was moved to its current site in 1862.  When St. Marks Parish closed the chapel, which was unused for many years, the chapel was sold in 2014.  Current owners Pat Warwick  and Jay Carlotto have lovingly converted the building into a modern residence.

Plaque awarded in March 2017. Research by Doug Hinman.





Jeremiah Child House, ca 1769
22 Liberty Street

The original land purchase was made in 1769 by Jeremiah Child.  His son Jeremiah and wife Patience lived there into the early 1800s.  In 1817, the land and house were bought by Benjamin Child and his wife Phebe; she resided there until her death in 1873. Over the years the house has been remodeled and reconfigured repeatedly but still shows signs of its early origin. In 1926 the property was purchased by the grandmother of current owner Barbara Dobbyn.
 Plaque awarded in March 2017. Research by Doug Hinman.






Ella S. Parker House, 1902
47 Cutler Street
In 1901, William Wardwill sold the lot of land to Ella S. Parker for the sum of $10 and "other good and valid considerations." The 1-1/2 story late Victorian cottage was built the following year.  In 1914, Parker sold the lot with a building to Joseph and Mary Mandoza.  The property remained in the Mendoza family until 2003 and is now owned by David Wescott.
Plaque awarded in March 2017. Research by David Gaskill.



Rufus Barton House, ca 1783
47 Broad Street
In 1768, the estate of Caleb Carr sold a large parcel of land to Josias Lyndon, who divided it into 19 house lots.  In September of 1782, the Lyndon estate sold lot 11 of the Lyndon plat to Rufus Barton; the side-gabled, center chimney colonial house was most likely built the following year.  In 1797, Barton sold the property to Nathan Miller Burr.  The north facing salt box extension was most likely added at this time.  Over the years the property was divided into apartments, vinyl sided and much of its historical integrity was compromised; new owners David Gaskill and Pat Mues are currently in the progress of an interior and exterior historical restoration. 
Plaque awarded in March 2017. Research by David Gaskill.





Sally Vance House, ca 1842
51 Broad Street
The original lot was sold as lot 12 of the Lyndon plat together with lot 13 to Shubael Burr in 1782. In 1785, Burr sold both lots to James Vance; the estate of Joseph Vance sold both lots to Joseph Smith in 1828.  Joseph Smith sold both lots to Sally Vance in 1841; the Greek revival cottage was most likely built by Sally Vance in 1842. The estate of Sally Vance sold lot 12 with dwelling house to Henry Cole in 1845.  Current owners Steven Thompson and Nick Heywood have restored the Piano Tuner's Workshop outbuilding and plan to restore the residence exterior.
Plaque awarded in March 2017. Research by David Gaskill






George T. Gardner House, 1850
19 Washington Street
In 1833, Freeborn Sisson sold the lot to Charles and George Gardner.  In 1838, Charles sold his share to Mary Gardner, who later sold her part to Rosabella Gardner in 1846.  In 1850, Rosabella sold all her interest and an additional strip of land running from Washington Street to Jefferson Street, as well as a strip of land with frontage on Jefferson Street, to George Gardner.  The house was undoubtedly built in 1850 because the footprint sits right on the line sold in March 1850 and the house is shown on Walling map of 1851. The strip of land to the west on Jefferson Street was later sold but is clearly visible on the Beers map of 1870.  The house is an example of the transition between Greek revival and early Italianate styles.  It is currently the home of Stephen and Nicky Piper and their three children.
Plaque awarded in March 2017. Research by David Gaskill




The Child-Merchant Carriage House, ca. 1869
Baker Street


In 1869, the assessment of the property located at 421 Main Street jumped from $2,000 to $4,000 during the sale of the property from Charles Child to Dr. J. M. Merchant.  Possibly Child, who was a carpenter, constructed the handsome carriage house as part of the sale to Dr. Merchant.  In 1989, the carriage house was donated to Federal Blues RIM by Dr. Peter Mogayzel, a local dentist, and the structure was moved in January 1992 to its current Baker Street location.
Plaque awarded March 2016. Research by Kristin MacDonald.







Capt. Haile Bowen House, ca. 1791
Water Street
In November 1770, lots 38-45 of Brooks Pasture were purchased by Jonathan Bowen (1736-1778) from Joseph Butterworth.  Following the Revolutionary War, much of this area was platted and Water Street was laid out.  Jonathan's widow Elizabeth or son Jonathan Jr. evidently gifted a small portion of the original land purchase to their eldest son/brother Haile (1762-1799) upon his marriage to Polly Tyler so they could build a dwelling house.  The house would eventually pass to Haile's son, Haile Jr. (1794-1876) who would sell the house for $800.00 to Jabez Brown in 1821. In 1946, the building was completely "modernized" with a solid brick fa├žade, completely masking its original clapboard exterior.  A portion of the interior was spared; the upstairs is described as a close replica of the Samuel Martin House (1795), also located on Water Street.
 Plaque awarded March 2016.  Research by Doug Hinman.
 
Piano Tuner's Workshop, 1890
51 Broad Street
This outbuilding was built circa 1890 and was used as John Eddy's piano tuning workshop from 1897 into the 1930s. John Eddy was born in 1861 and died in 1933.  His wife Edith continued to live in the adjoining house until her death in 1950.  The property is currently owned by Nick Heywood and Steven Thompson; the meticulously restored outbuilding is now an antique shop -- NickHaus -- owned and operated by Mr. Heywood.
Plaque awarded March 2016.  Research by Doug Hinman. 







Smith Bowen House, 1764
373 Child Street
On June 18, 1764 Samuel Bowen sells a large tract of land to his son Smith (1738-1827) for $2,000 with its northwest corner bordering two highways (present day Child St. and Metacom Ave.) and running east to the Kickemuit River.  Smith, a "housewright" by profession, married in 1758 and eventually had nine children; he most likely built the house himself soon after the land purchase. On March 18, 1845, Amy Bowen, daughter of Smith, sold the property (much reduced in size) including the house for $500. The house,  survives to this day in largely unaltered form.  The property is currently owned by Janis Hellew.                                   
Plaque awarded March 2016. Research by Doug Hinman.


Clarence H. Seymour II House, 1906
20 Maple Street

The land was purchased in 1904 by Clarence and Cora Seymour and, according to tax records, a dwelling was built on the lot in 1906.  The house stayed in the Seymour family until 1962 when the deed was transferred to Michael and Helen Munroe. Current owners Sam and Lauren Glynn purchased the property in 2015.
Plaque awarded March 2016. Research by Kristin MacDonald.








The Patrick Barrett House, ca. 1857
34 Wheaton Street
Original land was purchased by Patrick Barrett from John D. Tuell for $300.00 in 1857; presumably, the dwelling was built soon after the original land purchase. In October of 1868, the property was granted by Patrick and Catherine Barrett to Francis McCarthy, who left the house to his daughter Sarah Harrington in 1933.  In 1952, the property was sold to Charles and Gladys Hunt.  Benjamin and Adrienne Machado purchased the property in 2013.
Plaque awarded March 2015. Research by Kristin MacDonald.







The Alfred Cornell House, ca. 1846
736 Main Street

Original lot of land "lying in Bristol by the Main Road" was granted by Deacon Stillman Welch of Barrington to Mr. Alfred R. Cornell in April 1846.  According to the 1850 census, the Cornell family was residing at 736 Main Street, which is evidence that the dwelling was built soon after the land purchase in 1846. In 1894, Alfred's daughter, Mary Cornell, granted the property to her son Patrick Wynne.  In 1917, Patrick and Catherine Wynne granted the property to their children Thomas Wynne and Annie Sharkey.  In February 1963, the property was purchased by A.J. Sousa and Theresa P. Sousa.  The current owners, Patrick and Angela Pucino, purchased the property in 2013.
Plaque awarded March 2015. Research by Kristin MacDonald.





The Josiah Munro House, 1795
45 Washington Street

The earliest deed for this property was executed on October 26, 1794 when Josiah Munro purchased for $125.00 a lot of land from Edward Easterbrook.  In 1797, the land was sold to John Champlain for $200.00.  In 1814, the house and lot that Champlain bought of Josiah Munro was sold for $1, 000, following the division of the house two units.  The widow of John Champlin, Elizabeth, rented the western portion of the house.  In 1871, the house was sold to Loretta Barrus (or Barnes) for $4,500.00.  As Loretta Chaffee, she in turn sold the house to t he Harrington family, then the Higgins family who owned it until Old Stone Trust as Trustees of Higgins acquired the home in 1989.  In 2004, the house was purchased by Karen Dionne.  The house has undergone extensive expansion over the years with additions to the east and west, added bay windows, and the addition of a monitor to the attic. 
Plaque presented March 2015. Research by Doug Hinman.

Warren & Barrington Gazette, 1913
6 State Street

This lot had been developed for a number of years with a dwelling house and other buildings existent.  In 1908, brothers David and Robert Black purchased the present lot and structures for $1.00 plus "other goods and valid considerations" from John Conway and Maurice and Mary Leahy.  No change seemed to have occurred for four years until half of the other partnership, namely Robert Black, died in 1912.
The following year, there is an entirely new structure on the lot serving as the offices of the Warren & Barrington Gazette.  The Greek revival-styled building with use of a pediment in the front gable roof, was purposely built as an expanded office and production space for the Gazette, which was moving from smaller offices on 197 Main Street (old numbering).  The Gazette was located here until 1968 when their operations were purchased by Eastbay Newspapers located in Bristol.  At this time the building was acquired by Falugos Bedding.  In 2003 the building was purchased by Farmer & First CPAs.
Plaque awarded March 2015.  Research by Doug Hinman.


The Ebenezer Cole House, ca. 1740s
53 State Street

The most solid fact on this house is that in 1850 it was owned by the Luther Cole Estate.  Luther was born in 1792 and died in 1866.  Luther's father was Benjamin  Cole, who was born in 1759 and died in 1836.  With his wife Patience, they ran Cole's Hotel on Main Street for 40 years, taking over from his father, Ebenezer Cole, who built the hotel in 1762.  Luther's younger brother Andrew was initially named in Benjamin's will along with Benjamin's wife Patience as inheritors of the property, but the Probate Court ruled in Luther's favor.
Based on the early building material used in the construction of the house, it is necessary to go back one earlier generation of Cole's. The will of  Ebenezer Cole (1715-1798) indicated that his youngest son Benjamin shall inherit "all other real estate" other than the holdings in Touisset left to other family members.  It is logical that this property was his.  His wife Prudence Miller was from the Miller family who resided on lower Water Street.  Ebenezer started his family of ten children in the late 1730s and so it seems logical that the house was constructed in the 1740s as his family grew. 
The current owner, Davison Bolster, corroborates the estimated age based on the early handmade materials found throughout the house, from the lath to the clapboards, sash, molding, doors, hardware and nails which bear evidence of land fashioning consistent with pre-War construction.  The surprising fact that so much evidence survives is attributed to the small number of owners since the building left the Cole family in 1904, when it was purchased by Nathan Marks, a Warren shop owner.  Marks owned the property until 1969, since which time there have only been two other owners.
Plaque awarded March 2015. Research by Doug Hinman.


The Luther Baker House, 1799
236 Water Street

The first deed for this property was dated November 24, 1798 and comes from Jesse Baker to his son Luther, who purchased this lot on the corner of Baker and Water Streets for $125.00.  Presumably, the house was built by the following year as Luther and his wife and family are shown in the 1800 census, listed adjacent to his father Jesse.
An extension  of the land was added in 1807, sold to him by his northern neighbor Nicholas Cammell. the property remained in the family until 1814 when it was purchased by Nathan Wheaton and remained under that name until 1871 when descendant Elizabeth (Wheaton) Turner sold it to Seth Baxter, after which it has gone through eighteen changes of hand since 1891.  Plaque presented March 2015. Research by Doug Hinman.




Jeremiah Rogers House, 1792
299 Main Street


The land where this dwelling stands today was purchased by Jeremiah Rogers in 1788 from his neighbor Level Maxwell.  The original structure only consisted from the center chimney southward and was later expanded to the north and west in subsequent years.  In the 18th century, it was owned by W.L. Brown, and later the Pierce family, when it was sold to Doug King in 1988.  The house by that time was in disastrous condition and required an entire roof replacement.  In 1998, it was purchased by current owners James and Christine Gorman.
Plaque presented September 2014.  Research by Doug Hinman.




Clarence & Madeline Seymour House, 1880
976 Main Street

The land where this house is built was originally part of farmland in the north district of Bristol, and was annexed by Warren in 1873.  This property and what became Seymour Street was not divided until 1880 when Madeline Seymour bought the land of George and Martha Hatch of Bristol.  Madeline married Clarence Seymour, a Barrington miller and farmer, in 1872.  They built a grand Victorian dwelling with a crossed gable roof and Gothic details.  In 1898, they sold the house to their son Louis, who then left the property to his illegitimate son who remained in the house until 1948.  The current residents, Tom and Jill Culora, purchased the house in 2008. 
Plaque presented September 2014.  Research by Doug Hinman.


William Eastabrooke House, 1757
17 Church Street

This classic Colonial cottage lies just east of the Methodist Church and was built in 1757 by William Eastabrooke. The most famous tenant was "Traitor" John Holland, who betrayed Warren in the British raids in May of 1788.  Over the centuries there have been a number of alterations to the house, including an addition, an added dormer, and the relocation of the front door.  In 2011, the property was purchased by Gibb Brownlie and Clark Wescott, who completed a modern restoration.  The current owners are Betty & Gibb Brownlie.
Plaque presented September 2014.  Research by Doug Hinman.

1 comment:

  1. Hi admin,
    I read your blog, its really awesome,
    I am seeing that you are selling home. I have also a site related to you.
    A regularly asked question is is it better to rent your house or to buy it?. Very often this question actually translates into is it cheaper to buy than to rent?

    buying a house to rent


    Your regards
    Alfaj Ripon

    ReplyDelete